Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 15 - A little bit of history

I know that the pictures are suppose to be taken this year, however, the more I thought about the scene taken in this photo the more I wanted to put it on the blog.

I teach history, it is a challenge to get my students to understand why we study history at all. They live in the here and now and are not concerned with things of the past. We talked today about WWII and the holocaust, about Walter Case a man that survived the concentration camp and shares his story with students. He wants them never to forget, just like he will never forget. I keep trying to tell them that life is series of steps and that we have to look at where we came from to understand where we are going. They don't get it, just like I did not get it when I was there age. I wish I would have taken the time to listen to the words of my grandfather more often. To ask more questions, to understand his experiences. I did ask some questions, but not enough. I love it when I can share with my students his first hand accounts. I just wish they understood that our past has a bearing on our present.


Today's pictures were taken on our vacation. One is of the work now taking place on ground zero - and the other is of the liberty bell. I love this country and I love teaching!!!

1 comment:

  1. It is hard to understand at a young age how much our history shapes our future - I still struggle with it sometimes, but overall - they will get there someday and probably have the same thoughts about paying more attention to their grandparents as well.

    ReplyDelete